Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ichiban!



I haven't really been to any specific events at Southern besides orientation. I would like to attend more, and I plan to, but it is just so hard to get the time to come back to campus when I am a working commuter. My topic for this blog isn't technically and event, but it is an art exhibition. It is called Ichiban! and it is a display of all sorts of historic and contemporary Japanese artwork. The exhibition is a celebration of 150 years of the first Japanese Diplomatic Mission in the United States.  As a lover of art, I was really interested in seeing this exhibition, and I wasn't disappointed. The pieces of art were unique and beautiful and helped me open my eyes to parts of Japanese culture that I wasn't aware of prior to that. From uniquely ornate robes and scrolls to cute childrens lunch boxes and games, the Ichiban exhibit is something that is worth taking a look at. It is nice to know that Southern appreciates art and different cultures and I hope that in the future they have more exhibits featuring even more different and interesting cultures.

2 comments: